Important Note: You may use the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator without logging in or registering. However, you will not be able to save your information. If you would like to enable the save functionality, you must first Log-in or Register.
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount a family can be expected to contribute toward a student's college education costs. The US government and many colleges and universities use the EFC to determine a student's eligibility for financial aid. In order to help students and parents plan for future education expenses, College Toolkit provides this calculator to help them estimate their EFC.
You are an independent student if you meet any of the following criteria:
Are you an independent student?
- You were born before January 1, 1987;
- You are a veteran of the US Armed Forces;
- You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training;
- You will be working on a master's or doctorate degree in the upcoming school year;
- You are married;
- You are an orphan or ward of the court or were a ward of the court until the age of 18; or
- You have legal dependents other than a spouse.
For more info, visit Expected Family Contribution (EFC) pages on FAFSAonline